Thursday, April 26, 2007

The Art of Heckling

- That was wonderful!
- Bravo!
- I loved that!
- Ah, that was great!
- Well, it was pretty good.
- Well, it wasn't bad ...
- Uh, there were parts of it that weren't very good though.
- It could have been a lot better.
- I didn't really like it.
- It was pretty terrible.
- It was bad.
- It was awful!
- It was terrible!
- Take 'em away!
- Bah, boo!
- Boo!

Well, these guys are professionals, but most of the times hecklers seem to be pretty dumb. So what is a comedian to do?
Here's the late great Bill Hicks' reaction:



Somebody should show this clip to Fozzie Bear so that he could give those old farts something to laugh about.
So tearing the heckler a new one on stage is one plan of action, but someone finally came through with that other idea George offers in the 5th season episode The Fire on Seinfeld when Jerry gets heckled: "You should go to her office and heckle her." Yes! Bring the battle back to the heckler!
Which is why I desperately want to see this film.
Alas, it will never show in Germany, I'm sure.

UPDATE 17Aug07: The Bill Hicks video I used disappeared from YouTube, so I embedded an alternative link.

No comments: